INGREDIENTS*: Fair Trade Kombo Butter, Pastured Raised Grass-Finished Suet Tallow, 20% Non-Nano Zinc Oxide, Vitamin C Oil (Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate), Squalane Oil, Natural Vitamin E Oil (D-Alpha Tocopherol) (Patent Pending Formula)*
This product has an approximate protection of 25-30 SPF*. Apply generously at least fifteen minutes before sun exposure and re-apply every thirty minutes to an hour as needed during sun exposure.
Will this match all skin tones and fully blend in?
Our sun cream is a light-medium beige color. For those with very light to light/medium complexions the application will be a close match. For those with tan to dark skin tone, it will show as a bit more light on the skin and the non nano zinc will start to shine through. However, even though it may show a bit lighter on the skin for those with darker skin tones, it will still show much less of a white cast than plain zinc sun creams without a tint.
We made this product tinted as dark as we could using only the natural kombo butter while still including a high percentage of zinc for the photo protection benefits.
Please Note: This product can be used on both the face and body but we highly recommend it for the face as the tint can stain clothing or towels. Please treat this product as you would with a tinted moisturizer and foundation, the natural tint derived from Kombo butter may stain clothing if it comes in contact with it! Please scroll down below for tips on how to use our sun cream.
Vitamin C + E:
- Protects lipids from oxidative damage on the skin - a process that creates free radicals and causes cellular damage and accelerated aging
- Minimizes the appearance of dark/age spots, crows feet, or other wrinkles
- Promotes the skin's natural collagen renewal process
- Lessens the appearance of scarring and hyperpigmentation
- Counteracts damage from harmful UV rays
1. Fair Trade African Kombo Butter: Kombo butter is a saturated butter that comes from the seeds of the Pycnanthus angolensis evergreen tree that is native to West and Central Africa. It is also known as the 'African nutmeg' tree. This butter is naturally dark brown color similar to chocolate! The butter is extracted from the seeds of the kombo fruit, which is similar in appearance to a small avocado, and is rich in both fatty acids and vitamins. African kombo butter is an excellent moisturizer for the skin and is used in African traditional medicine and cosmetics. It has a natural smokey and nutty scent that will shine through in the cream!
2. Pastured Raised Grass-fed and Grass-finished Suet Tallow: Our tallow is nutrient-dense, golden yellow, and naturally contains high amounts of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K. Tallow is rich in fatty acids, including oleic acid, palmitic acid, and stearic acid. These fatty acids help to moisturize and nourish the skin, forming a protective barrier that can prevent water loss and keep the skin hydrated.
3. 20% Non-Nano Zinc-Oxide: Non-nano zinc oxide is a safer alternative to sun cream than chemical alternatives like Oxybenzone. Some people with sensitive may find non-nano zinc oxide less irritating compared to certain chemical sunscreen ingredients. Non-nano zinc refers to zinc particles that are larger in size compared to nano-sized particles. These particles typically have a size range of over 100 nanometers, which reduces the likelihood of them penetrating the skin. Non-nano zinc works by forming a physical barrier on the skin that reflects both UVA/UVB rays, providing photo protection. Due to the larger particle size, this is the reason many non-nano zinc oxide sun creams may create a white cast on the skin!
4. 100% Sugarcane Derived Squalane Oil: The Squalane Oil used in the sun cream is derived from renewable sugarcane bio-fermentation. This creates an oil that is similar in structure to human sebum. It is lightweight, non-greasy, and easily absorbed into the skin. Sugarcane squalane is also a sustainable and eco-friendly ingredient, as it does not contribute to the depletion of natural resources. Squalane oil is a fully saturated oil and PUFA-free. Our Squalane Oil is ECOCert-approved and a USDA Certified 100% Biobased Product.
5. Vitamin C Oil (Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate): Vitamin C helps protects against free radical damage and initiates repair to cells. Vitamin C is effective against both UVA (the deep penetrating, cell-damaging rays) and UVB (the rays that primarily affect the epidermis and cause sunburn).
6. Natural Vitamin E Oil (D-alpha Tocopherol): The Real Deal—Not Synthetic! The 100% pure & natural Vitamin E Oil used in this product (D-alpha tocopherol) is all-natural, 100% derived from non-GMO organic olives. Using a unique distillation and extraction process the Vitamin E is extracted from olives rather than sunflowers.
TEXTURE & APPEARANCE: A smooth and gentle spreadable cream. The Squalane oil allows the Kombo butter to be very spreadable and squeeze out of the tube easily! The product will give a dewy appearance at first and then dry down in 15-20 minutes to a more matte finish. Depending on your skin tone the sun cream should blend in and give a very sheer white cast from the non-nano zinc oxide.
SUGGESTED USE: Apply generously at least fifteen minutes before sun exposure. Re-apply every 30 minutes to an hour as needed during sun exposure.
TUBES: 100% Sugarcane derived tubes (4oz)
SCENT: This cream has no added scents, however Kombo butter has a smokey, nutty and molasses scent to it that definitely shines through! It's a medium to strong smell that does dissipate after a while.
SHELF LIFE: 12 months at room temperature, well over a year refrigerated.
*Olive Sensitivity Warning* The Vitamin E we use in this product is all-natural and from cold-pressed organic Olives, please take note of this if you have an allergy to Olives or have experienced skin sensitivities with olives in the past.
*This product has not been tested by the Food Drug and Administration (FDA). This product is not intended to diagnose, treat cure or prevent any disease.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What makes the sun cream a 'tint'?
The African Kombo butter used in this product is a dark brown color and when mixed with non-nano zinc oxide it becomes a light to medium skin tone color. This natural butter is the only ingredient we use to naturally tint the product. We do not use Iron Oxides, Pigments or Mica to tint this product.
Kombo butter not only tints our product, but also provides a wide array of skin benefits! To name a few Kombo Butter is:
- High in vitamin A
- Saturated so it does not easily oxidize
- Full of beneficial fatty acids
- Extremely moisturizing
- Rich in magnesium, copper, manganese, phosphorus, calcium, and niacin
- Traditionally used in Africa to soothe muscle aches and inflammation
Can the tinted sun cream stain clothing?
Yes, it is possible that our tinted sun cream can stain clothes. Fabrics such as silk, wool, and satin are more prone to staining versus cotton or polyester. This is why we recommend our tinted sun creams to mainly be used on the face rather than the body, and to treat them like a tinted moisturizer.
Can you prevent the tinted sun cream from staining clothes and towels?
Yes, you can prevent tinted moisturizer from staining clothes by taking some precautions:
- Apply the moisturizer after getting dressed
- Applying a setting powder or spray over the moisturizer to prevent transfer.
- Wearing dark clothing or bathing suits
- Make sure to rinse off using water or soap after using the tinted sun cream and applying clothing
- Use a brush or sponge to apply the moisturizer instead of your fingers
- Avoid excessive sweating and rubbing against clothes
In conclusion, it is possible that the tinted sun cream can stain clothes if not using the above precautions and tips before. However, with proper care you can enjoy the benefits of using a tinted sun cream on your body!
What are your tubes made out of?
The tubes used in this product are 100% Sugarcane derived.
Sugarcane plastic tubes are created using bio-based polyethylene derived from sugarcane ethanol unlike traditional plastic tubes which are typically made from petroleum-based materials.
This process is considered more environmentally friendly compared to the production of conventional plastic tubes because sugarcane is a renewable resource that absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere during its growth, helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.